Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hypothesis Testing for Limits

If there's one thing an MBA course teaches you, it's how to test the limits. (And no, I don't actually  mean the control limits and hypothesis testing in normal distributions)

Especially a one year course. (What was I thinking, really?) I don't think I've ever used my mind so much and slept so little, and it's only Week 1, in Term 2. I still have 7.83 terms to get through.

If you can manage 4 assignments that are due the weekend before your end terms, suddenly other challenges don't seem so daunting, and 3 assignments due on Mondays become par for the course. As an MBA student you suddenly realise just how many hours there are in a day and how much you can do with that. So instead of catching up on sleep today, (yay weekend) I'm actually staring at this white space so I can come up with a half-decent post about my life here. (Clearly you can tell I'm struggling)

Coffee becomes your lifeline here, i.e. most valueble asset, that doesn't depreciate over time. That, and friends who poke themselves in the face with pencils so they can stay up, thereby ensuring you're awake for at least the next 15 minutes because you can't stop cracking up. (Pro Tip - find people in class to look at that have ridiculously awesome Points Of Difference when it comes to staying awake)

Anyway, getting to my point - how do you find time for things you love and people you love? How do you choose what's more important, and what deserves your attention more in that moment? How do we work those numbers out for marginal benefit and marginal cost? Do you continue to stay rational human beings that maximise benefit, or give it up halfway and go for what makes you feel better in that moment, forgetting about all your variable costs?

I know at the end of the day I'm going to look back and remember only the epic moments (Prof shouting at Siri in class) and not my horrible struggle with multiple regression and actuarially fair insurance, but how do I convince 'Present Me' to breathe a little, and to maybe sleep a little, because honestly that seems like the best long term strategy, given all the decision variables and binding constraints.

No comments:

Post a Comment